It Happened on Fifth Avenue




While our family was on our cruise I happened to set the DVR to  record this movie. I had no idea what the movie was about. I only recorded it because Alan Hale Jr. was in it and I wanted to see the Skipper from Gilligan's Island as a younger man.
I am so delighted that I did.  This is a fantastic movie. I am suprised that it is not as well known of a special Christmas movie as lets say "It's a Wonderful Life" since it holds such wonderful messages of Love, kindness, and how giving and hard work can do to make you a better person. The movie is about a hobo and  his new found friends who move into a mansion while the owners are out of town for their Christmas holiday.
Here are a few scenes from the movie (forgive me the scenes I found are not the best quality, but good anyway).  The Hobo is amazing. He is wise beyond his means. 
I couldn't find any scenes were the Hobo gives his best lines and I am sorry about that because I wanted to give you a better taste of how fantastic this movie is 

The following scene is hilarious. The man buying the suit is the 2nd richest man in the world Michael O'Conner. He is at this second hand store so that he can infiltrate his own home where his daughter has been acting as an unemployed woman named Trudy (Gail Storm)  because she wanted a little fun and is falling in love with Jim Bullock (Don Defore) a veteran who is taken in by the hobo.

Interestingly enough- he has been kicked out of his leased apartment because the building is being demolished by the owner--- Michael O'conner. That's right the same man who owns the house they are all living in.

The store owner gives some of the best comedy lines in the whole movie (or so I think.)



If you have never seen this movie. Make it a goal to see it. I saw it on TCM. I am a TCM movie junkie. I absolutely adore old movies. This movie will be put on the list of movies to watch every Christmas season just like It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story, Charlie Brown's Christmas, White Christmas and The Bells of St. Mary.



Comments

Popular Posts