In an Intellectual Poetry Mood

In the mood for a different type of poetry, I went searching for some intelligence. One of the gals in my Google+ writing circle had posted a video of Allen Ginsberg reading the first part of Howl. I wanted to hear James Franco read it. My intellectual side has been appeased for the moment.(warning, not for the faint of heart.)




The great thing about Beat poetry and Allen Ginsberg's Howl is the language. It is deep. The rhythm is always of a tone of desire and wanting to know more. I love this kind of poetry. It makes me think more than feel. Even though, feeling is a big part of it.

We need Beats and their type of poetry back in our lives. I crave to live in a city where there are poetry readings in such a serious, rythmic vein.  In Ocala any poetry reading for that matter, would be great...
I don't mean the stereotypical Beatniks that the movies, the media and other writers meant; troubled, drunken hoodlums.I mean the ones like Jack Kerouac's version. In Aftermath: The Philosophy of the Beat Generation (interesting reading by the way), he explained that it meant, "characters of a special spirituality who didn't gang up but were solitary Bartlebies staring out the dead wall window of our civilization."
Unfortunately, I don't think there is enough writers out there to desire a higher intellectual thinking in our creative writing. I think that we have lost the leisure of presenting readings. I believe social media has created a deadening of our desire for deeper understanding.  There is a moving trend to bullet the words for a fast understanding. I think that is sad.
Image courtesy of Emblibrary.com



Comments

Popular Posts