Pretenious? Me? Maybe. Good Writing advice from one George Orwell.

This week is the Republican National Convention. As a great lover of politics and history, I find it my job as a responsible voter to watch each of the conventions, take from them what I will and decide who has presented the best case for why they want my vote and go from there. Just as I do with the Presidential debates. 

During these conventions we will see all kinds of speeches going on. Ones that stir the soul, ones that pull your emotions to the surface, ones that make you angry and ones that are just plain BOOOOORRRRIIINNG, talk about a great time to take a nap. As someone who loves words, reads words, writes words, I find a political speech metaphorically long, repetitive and boring.

Some would say I am a pedantic writer, so I am considered ostentatious by nature, tomato, tomatoe, potato, potatoe. I could be called worse: Pretentious, being one.

Is there something wrong with wanting to sound educated, like a literary novelist and not just use the plainest of plain words? I don't believe there is.

This is some advice for the next speech given by anyone in politics. Written by George Orwell in 1946, I thought it was interesting. I wonder what he would think of writing in our time and the language becoming devoid of "flowery" words.



In his essay, Mr. Orwell give 6 things you should not do when writing. I want dig deeper into each suggestion and try to put into practice his suggestions. I know I commit the bad writing crime of doing at least the first three of those bad habits. I found this essay in my quest to find out about "plagiarizing" or sounding similar to others In leu of the Mrs. Trump vs. Mrs. Obama at their own respective "virgin" convention speech.


On a side note: our Book Club Beauties group is reading 1984 and Burning Down George Orwell's House, so I thought it very ironic that I would click with one



of his essays vs. the many other essays I read this morning. I guess good 'ole George is sitting in my brain screaming, "pick me, "pick me"! 

Comments

Popular Posts