The Massacre of Mankind- Stephen Baxter



It had been a decade or so since I read H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds. I was afraid I'd need to go back to read it before Mr. Baxter's novel, so I did. You didn't really need to read WOTW, although I think that it might help to get the feel of the underlying story. 

I had a really hard time reading The Massacre of Mankind. I am not sure if it was because there was too much explaining of the times between attacks (back and forth between the first war and the war happening in current times), the description of the Martians was tedious at times. 

The characters were developed well and I really liked Ms. Elphinstone. I just felt the novel was too wordy and unnecessarily so. The switching back and forth between points of views wasn't always easy to decipher as some were narrated, some first person and others just a telling vs. showing and not done well for me to envision.

I give Stephen Baxter credit for trying to stick to the original feel of WOTW! However, it fell flat for me. This is rated a 2 for me. 

*I received this ebook through Penguin's First To Read ARC for my honest review.

Comments

Popular Posts