I was Anastasia: A Novel by Ariel Lawson




I Was Anastasia
Author: Ariel Lawhon 
Publisher: Double Day
Publish Date: March 27, 2018

The Romanov's... one of most mysterious tales in all of Russian History. Is she or Isn't she the Tzars daughter Anastasia Romanov? Like a photo album that has missing pages throughout its covers, I was Anastasia was told in gaps and back views, this non-linear story feels like said missing-paged photo album. 

Ariel Lawhon does a marvelous job convincing you that Anna Anderson is absolutely Anastasia Romanov from heart-breaking journeys into exile, traumatic train rides, death-defying slaughters, and yet, you still have to wonder if anyone can survive what Anna Anderson claims she has.

The story is poetic, filled with all that you can imagine of tragedy but also, loving memories of family, friendship, and compassion from those who selfishly provide for Anna if only to gain notoriety and material wealth.

It did take me a while and sometimes still after the first 100 pages I tended to have to go back to keep the pages in order of timelines. However, when you reach the end of the story, you understand what the author is achieving. 

This story is a must if you have ever wondered about Anna/Anastasia's identity.

I gave this book 4 stars.

*I received this book courtesy of Double Day Books via NetGalley in lieu of my honest review.

Comments

Popular Posts