Stone Baby by Michelle Sacks


Stone Baby stories
Author: Michelle Sacks
Publisher: TriQuarterly Books
Publish date: December 15, 2017


As a debut novel by Michelle Sacks, this collection of 12 Stories scans the world. We first read the story of Kingdom, a man fleeing from war in Africa who becomes a hired mercenary. Each story has a main character and a few minor characters. Those minor characters tend to turn into the main character in the next story or somewhere down the line in other stories intersecting with other characters lives. 

It took me many stories to finally decide I liked the stories over all. It was a little too grungy for my tastes. Too many violent scenes and language for me, however the stories themselves were creative, thought-provoking and definitely something different than anything else I’ve read. Each character is fleeing from something and gaining an understanding of a trait they needed to learn. I appreciated the personal development and/or lack of personal development each main character experiences in each of the 12 stories. I think my favorite story of the collection was the title’s own story- Stone Baby. It was emotionally distraught, soul searching and happy all at the same time. You will live through so many emotions reading these stories.

Ms. Sacks does a good job of visualization, character development and care-ability (or making you interested in the stories themselves) throughout the collection.


If you love to read dark, deep, developmental stories this book is for you. I gave the book a 3 out of 5 because I said, it was just a little too dark for me. 


Comments

Popular Posts