Finding my way to Poetry

Evey Day Poems asked the question: "How did you find your way to poetry?" I have read many fantastic poets and yet was still ambivalent to poetry until a genius Creative Writing teacher opened my eyes. Here is the poem that I wrote for her which was included in our Poetry Unit Portfolio.



Ode to a Brilliant Blonde


My life has now been changed
because I have been inspired to
put down my words in a new way.
Words are no longer just to read but a
picture, a sound, a taste or a touch.

The clicking of black keys with white letters
has always been my friend, but now the click
means that I can get frustration, sadness, happiness
connected through the snapping of brain waves
on to the page through a more imaginative process.

I have all this thanks to a brilliant blonde.

In the beginning I was afraid to put
down the words, over thinking placement,
syntax and rhyme, no more. I find myself
writing in the wee hours when the owls
are awake, right before the yellow orb rises into the
grey blue sky or during a climb when the moon is
at its hungriest.

I think it might drive my tow-headed teenagers batty
writing down things or speaking into my
phone recorder to remember ideas
I have observed that I would like to write about.

They tell me writing is now like a drug,
I can never calm the fix.
Maybe it is and maybe it isn’t, I just know

That I HAVE to write.

Images dance for me where ever I reside
no longer do I look at things critically
without seeing a more beautiful, creative
side to the view

Football players turn into
soldiers; dancers turn into pirouetting windmills;
flowers turn into talking, Victorian women.
life is like Wonderland and the outlook divine,
i’m looking forward to next semester
when we learn to rhyme.

Comments

  1. Very enjoyable written thoughts and feelings. I constantly want to emulate what you're doing: writing - expressing the thoughts within me endlessly, at every given moment, as you express so ably. Yet, I am so easily distracted - and my life has far more leisure time than yours; I admire your discipline, as well as the resultant creativity. I am so proud you are my daughter.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts