Kicks: The Great American Story of Sneakers by Nicholas Smith






Kicks: The Great American Story of Sneakers
Author: Nicholas Smith
Publishing House: Crown/Archetype
Publication Date: May 1, 2018

Summary:
"A cultural history of sneakers, tracing the footprint of one of our most iconic fashions across sports, business, pop culture, and American identity

When the athletic shoe graduated from the beaches and croquet courts of the wealthy elite to streetwear ubiquity, its journey through the heart of American life was just getting started. In this rollicking narrative, Nicholas K. Smith carries us through the long twentieth century as sneakers became the totem of subcultures from California skateboarders to New York rappers, the cause of gang violence and riots, the heart of a global economic controversy, the lynchpin in a quest to turn big sports into big business, and the muse of high fashion. Studded with larger-than-life mavericks and unexpected visionaries—from genius rubber inventor, Charles Goodyear, to road-warrior huckster Chuck Taylor, to the feuding brothers who founded Adidas and Puma, to the track coach who changed the sport by pouring rubber in his wife's waffle iron—Kicks introduces us to the sneaker's surprisingly influential, enduring, and evolving legacy. "







I thoroughly enjoyed Kicks. The way Nicholas Smith presents the histories of each brand of shoe mingling history, lifestyle and trends was a pleasant way to tell a story as in-depth as this book is about sneakers. I had so much fun guessing which brand was being created next just from the creator's name. As a child in the 70’s and 80’s, raising boys in the 90’s, and a daughter in the early 2000’s the history of the "sneakers", as we called them,(other friends called them tennis shoes, keds [although not the brand just a form name for the shoe itself], or just by their name brand - my kids evolving from Addidas to Nike's as they got older) was like being wrapped into paper and being placed in a box next to my favorite black and hot pink Freestyle Reebok — comforting and formative at the same time. Even the notes at the end continued to teach and remind me of what these shoes meant to my family. 

When I was 16 years old I dreamed of owning a pair of Reebok Freestyle hi-tops. It is was the epicenter of the aerobics age. I didn't want to own them because I was into aerobics; No, I wanted to own them because I saw that wrinkle in the toe box, the British flag on the white leather side of the hi-top and I just knew that those shoes would make my feet feel like I was wearing slippers all day long besides, owning a pair of foreign shoes was cool to beat!  The trend was for someone to go to Japan, London wherever and bring those puppies back for you. Supposedly they were cheaper than Stateside. I had to have them!!! My parents gave me a pair for my birthday. I was in love. It was like my feet were snuggled in a chenille blanket. Heaven. Then came the black hi-tops with hot pink laces, hot pink heels square and foot pads on the bottom of the shoes. Even though they were too hot to wear in the summer months, (they were more like a boot) I bore the brunt of that stifling heat to show off my kicks. They were just right up my alley — bright and unusual. 

With my boys, we had discussions on what shoe brand was better for your feet for each sport they played. One kid liked Nike for his soccer shoes, the other Addidas. Baseball had the same scrutiny. As a mom, I didn't always get to buy the cheapest like I wanted. Feet were important in each sport, so the best was purchased to protect their assets. Each kid had their own favorite brand and style wasn’t always the reason to buy the shoe; it was the fit around their heels, whether the "box" was wide enough etc... so Smith’s book brought back so many memories of even my children's buying style. 

Reading Kicks even inspired a lot of Ad/commercial searching on YouTube. My favorite the Converse Weapon commercial of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, Kevin McHale, Mark Aquire and Bernard King even if it is cheesy. It wasn't as cool as MJ's commercials, but I like that it had so many great basketball players rapping their strengths with the shoes.  




" I walked away with the MVP" 


Just for Fun.  A Few of the Air Jordan commercials that Nike produced that Kicks mentions for each style.


I was able to spend the weekend with my kids now as adults, they had to listen to their mother ask them, “do you remember, such a such a shoe... commercial or design?” After every page, I read. It was probably annoying to them but fun for me.

I was a little sad that Under Armour Shoes weren't talked about. I wonder if it is because it started out with athletic attire first and not shoes and Under Armour didn't create their own shoes from scratch like the brands talked about in the book.  The "I Will" campaign pushes people out of their comfort zone while inspiring. I enjoy the inspiration that the Stephen Curry commercials give to youth. He always educates at the same time as sells the sneaker.  Although it is close to what Nike did with it's "Find your Greatness" campaign. So, yeah.

The biggest problem I had with the book is when Smith is talking about the Chicago Bulls vs. Utah Jazz game 5 during the 1997 playoffs. He kept referring to Utah's court in Park City, Utah. The Delta Center was located in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah as a girl watching that game and proud to be from Salt Lake, it irked me that his research was off on that one. I completely agree though that Michael Jordan's heroic "flu" game was one of the best in the all-time history of basketball even though we Jazz fans were wishing for a different outcome. 


I recommend this book if you love a good non-fiction, love sneakers and want a quick read this book is for you. It might even convince you to buy a different brand of sneakers the next time you step into a Footlocker or an Indie sports store. I might need to get a few more colors of Chuck Taylor Converse and a checkered pair of Vans. 😏💙👟


My rating: 5 Stars

I want to thank Penguin Randomhouse for the opportunity to read this book through their First To Read website in lieu of my honest opinion. This one might be a must buy.

Comments

Popular Posts