Small Spaces by Katherine Arden






When I was 12 years old I read Firestarter and Cujo by Stephen King. I never wanted to be around a barn or go near big dogs after reading those books. I actually swore off King's books until I was 29 years old. At 12 years old the psychological thriller was taken to heart and internalized. The thrill was fantastic until I walked out the door.

Every so often you come across a book that you expected to be one way, such as Small Spaces where this is for young kids and can't be that scary, and then it becomes something even better than you thought. This is that book. Let's talk about how a Middle-Grade book can scare the living daylights out of an adult and still be appropriate for 11, 12, 13 and 14 years old. Yup, this is that book. This book is perfect not only during the fall season but all year long. Let's talk about a girl who has lost her mother in a plane accident who loves to read and comes across a frightened woman and steals her book. That is this book. A thriller, a book with a strong female protagonist, and a budding friendship even when one wasn't looked for or wanted because of a brave choice to follow one girl who everyone thinks has had a breakdown and is nuts. That is this book. This book is also a book to scare you out of your wits at night. It is a book that is well written, the characters are people you know. It is a book that not only your middle-grade age child will like but you will too. I'm glad as an adult I don't have to get on another school bus ever again after reading this book. Psychologically, I might have to think hard about whether I would step up into that a big yellow vehicle ever again! This thriller is that good.

I want to thank Netgalley and Katherine Arden for the opportunity to read this book in lieu of my honest. review.  It was wonderful.
 

Comments

Popular Posts