Deacon King Kong : Initial Thoughts


Wow!! I really don't have words to do this book justice!

Deacon was an affable character, psychologically losing his mind as he aged, however, he is the type of man that everyone wants to have around them and also tries to fix.

The characters in Mr. McBride's book are so complex, filled to the brim with personality and I felt as if I was living in the Cause Houses.

That also made the book sad. The lives they lived although filled with rich moments were also scary, full of realistic inner-city experiences and I wished I could help get each and every character into a place where their lives would be even more rich and successful. And yet, in a weird way, they were more at peace and happy where they were than so many people I know living in my middle-class neighborhood. Did they have hard times? Absolutely, but their caring for their neighbors, the love they gave when protecting their community was highly commendable and I was jealous of it.

This book is a lesson in life. How to handle the ups and downs. Protecting your neighbors, being there for them, and helping out when you can.

Deacon King Kong is full of nuance. Deacon King Kong for me is the hit of the year!
Kuddos James McBride.
Thank you for writing such a deeply rich and moving book.

Comments