Bloodsworn by Scott Reintgen


Blood Sworn
Scott Reintgen
Random House Children's Books
February 16, 2021



I am a huge fan of the author, Scott Reintgen's books, and Bloodsworn did not disappoint me at all!  I believe it might be Mr. Reintgen's best book yet!  There were twists and turns I didn't see coming. I am usually good at timing in my mind where the denouement will be in a story while reading, however, low and behold Scott got me and turned my judgment of his writing skills to a higher plain. 

Bloodsworn will draw you in with its gorgeous cover and the fact that you need to know what happened after we left Dividian Imelda, Ashlord Pippa, and Longhand Adrian at the end of book #1 Ashlords. There were so many scenes in the story that made me think wow, this would make a great movie! The action, the world-building of the  Gods and their kingdoms in the dark and dreary underworld, the one place that you were curious about the most when it came to Ashlords and little Quinn, Pippa's Gods appointed helpmate in the Races - the land she lived in. I felt as if it might be akin to Hoth - hotter than Hell, dryer than the Sahara, drearier than the Wombat creatures cave that the Millenium Falcon hid in while in the asteroid field, and full of creatures that you just can't imagine but Mr. Reintgen did. 

The intriguing part of this book was the Bloodsworn alchemy mix Imelda found and reproduced into her own formula to go beyond just an amazing Phoenix Horse. Without it, this book would be very short and very two-sided instead of a triangular point of view which makes this book very exciting and of course the name of the book. Well done, Mr. Reintgen, well done! 

This book is a lesson in writing entertainment, castes, races, and social injustice for any new writer or reader. The need to build new worlds when corruption is at its highest and the need to find light-heartedness even in the dark times make Bloodsworn, not only entertaining but also very worthy for the times we live. 

This book is a most excellent read for young adults, (and us adults) that love to use their imagination, a gulp of danger, and want to escape to another world altogether!  I know that it will be recommended to those kids I know that love Fantasy, Sci-Fi and unlike Marvel characters who bounce back from danger and the occasional bad wounds, not everyone gets out alive with your favorite characters. 

My only negative comment would be that I would've liked more of a detailed taste of Quinn's world when it came to the people who served the gods in the underworld. I would've loved a few pages on that. Nothing else comes to mind in critiquing Bloodsworn.

I was sad that this book is a Duology and I let the author know I needed more!  Whenever Mr. Reintgen wants to revisit his three Viceroy friends he needs to share it! I know I will be standing in line with the rest of his devoted and hopefully so many more new readers. 


Thank you, Netgalley, Random House Children's Books, and Scott Reintgen for allowing me the privilege of reading the next chapter and sequel to Ashlords. Bloodsworn is my favorite read of the year thus far! The author's Imagination Cable is thick with this one. 😉


Comments