Essay Style Book Reviews vs Book Commentaries--- What is your preference?



Do you re-read your old blog posts? I do sometimes. I am not loving my review process lately. It feels too cursory. 

So, I have a question for you: do you enjoy reviews that are essay style, more than say, commentaries of books? What is your favorite way of writing or reading a book review? Are you more of a cursory book review reader, or do you prefer the type of review that is similar to a New York Times Book Review? 

I have done a lot of commentary reviews lately. I think that the reviews aren't as freeing to my thought process and I feel they need to be done for all the free Advanced Readers Copies I receive so that I can help an author/publisher who was kind enough to let me read their not-yet-released books. However, why is it not okay to take a review and twist it into a book essay? Wouldn't that help other readers that might find the same interest in a genre of book that might stem from a theme of said book, or might intrigue someone to read the book, even more, knowing that it creates a deeper dive into the meaning of the book? 

I read a book, The Missing Word by Concita De Gregorio just last week that stoked so many painful and fond memories that I had a hard time writing a review. I really would like to write a memoir essay on that book, however, is that too self-serving vs, helping the book's author? Would it help others see a side that might trigger them and this would give the warning to read it with a healthy emotional cautiousness? Is that too much of a personal POV for another reader to be given in a review? Can you do both, a commentary with the publisher's summary AND an essay on a theme
or personal views of the book?


What do you think oh kind readers of my little blog? 

Comments

Popular Posts