HourGlass by Keiran Goddard


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Hourglass by Keiran Goddard is a jumbled mind strewn out on the page trying to get over the loss of two loves- one of a girlfriend and one of a mother.

Even a few weeks after finishing reading the book I’m not sure how I feel about it. I'm torn between feeling sadness for the male protagonist of the story over the heart-wrenching profoundness of his losses, and yet, also feeling like so much of his problem is of his own making by being so desperate for love itself as so many people are when they are extremely lonely.

This is my first Keiran Goddard novel and I appreciate the humor that he puts in to decrease the ever-burdening sadness of the protagonist.

There are a few of the writings of the protagonist that are talked about that would be amazing to read with its ever-burgeoning word usage- like, "What Does Remembering Mean in a World That Never Forgets (87 words)" or, "Habit is the Ballast that Chains the Dog to Its Vomit: Why Not Every Hobby Has to Become a Side Hustle! (862 words)" I can't even fathom where the latter one even goes with the jumble of the protagonist's mind. I'd really have loved to have read that one especially.


Comments

Popular Posts