Fraternizing Friday: The Cost of Milk



Remember when you first became an adult and you were so excited because you only had to eat and drink the things that you loved and not what your parents served? Yeah, I was super excited for that. I mean I really didn't have a lot that I had to eat that I didn't like but you know- it's all about the freedom of your adult choices.

Remember how it felt to buy that first gallon of milk and thinking it was probably the most expensive milk you would ever buy?

I do. I thought I was going to die when I bought my first groceries. My mom had taught me that you did big shopped 1 time a month and that you filled in when you ran out or it was on sale. I have to tell you. We NEVER ran out of things at my house growing up. Well, until Matt rolled into our lives. Then we ran out of cookies, milk and whatever else was in the treat jar in the kitchen. I didn't find out though until I was married the reality of keeping a kitchen, an extra snack pantry, a garage fridge and freezer (and food storage) stocked up with brand name food.  That first bill was a doozie!  Milk in 1989 was a whopping $2.34!

When we had the boys we had our milk delivered by Winder Dairy. It was so nice. Never running out of milk, cheese, eggs and bread. We felt as if we were the wealthiest people in the world with this one luxury. I bet you are thinking, "but, Sandi, that is an expensive service. Why would you use it?" It really did save us money. Don't you run out to the grocery store for a few items and usually get more than intended? Well, with Winder we received what we needed and didn't spend extra for those impulsive purchase. Hence, the savings.

(FYI: Monday, when I went shopping it was at $3.75! Not too bad I guess after 24 years, but still we go through a lot of milk in our house. You would think it was water!)

Not everything that I bought was a smart idea though. When I was 18, I passed my first driver's test (that story will have to be another post...). I needed a super cool car, something that showed the lifestyle that I wanted to live- like the models of Ralph Lauren or the Kennedy's. I wanted to live in Newport Beach, California. My husband would work and make tons of money and our little ones would be beach babies. (I digress, I think I've already talked about that once before. Sorry.)  So, my sweet boyfriend co-signed for me and I bought this for $8,000...


Yup, we were super cool.  Then, on my 19th birthday. Matt's brother painted my car a Dr. Pepper 24 flavored cherry red (my favorite drink at the time, and the color of Karl Malone's car,) this paint was special though, it was sparkly with this special finish. It looked black in some lights, burgundy in others and shown like a diamond in the sun.  I loved it!  One of the most unique presents that Matt has ever given me. 


The car looked cool but it was a money pit: the first week I owned it the accelerate cable busted while I was driving down 13th east in Salt Lake near Ft. Union. 

Lets turn our gaze to 1989 again. On a convertible the top is made with a frame shell surrounded by fabric and the back window is a hard plastic. In the winter, a normal car's windows freeze over and then you have to scrap and/or defrost it. A convertible is different. The plastic window scratches when a snow scrapper is used. The window will crack if you pore water on it so you try to protect it from freezing by putting a towel on the window. One day, the towel didn't work and the plastic window froze. Matt taped the window and busted the window by the force of his fist. A wonderful Fist hole was produced.  Try living in a winter wonderland and having a hole in your back window. Yes, it's ridiculously cold. So, when I drove it to work, you would freeze the whole way because the heater never heated up enough during a 15 minute drive when the car is a miserable 20 degrees or less. We replaced the top because we found out we were having a dear little baby. The cost astronomical!

In 1991 that car passed away from exhaustion. It expired on a hill at 5 o'clock in the morning while I was driving to work at the coldest part of the year. The engine block froze around 29th East. Just like the car, my fellow co-worker (who had caught a ride with me), and I froze as we walked the rest of the way up 3300 south to Fred Meyer in our really cute shoes not made to be in the snow and ice. When all was said and done my beautiful "old" convertible ended up costing me about $13,000 dollars out of pocket.

What with the top, a new accelerator cable, a new radiator, fuel pan and everything else we had fixed it should have been like brand new. Right? Obviously not. As Matt's dad Fred, would say, "Such a beautiful, fun car, When it runs," all the while grinning his goofy grin. (man, I miss him.)  
We ended up giving the car to Fred because he did so much trade work just to keep my car running. I think he sold it for scraps. Poor car.

I guess Milk wasn't so expensive after all...



* What was your "price shock" when you became an adult?


 

Comments

Popular Posts