Stealing the Show by Joy Press

Stealing the Show
Joy Press
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication Date: February 27, 2018
I thought I was going to love this book. I am pro-female, ever rooting for a woman to make her mark in the world. I am thankful to the women how have struggled to making groundbreaking t.v. and film come to my screen. However except for a few of the women mentioned in this book, I don't feel that some of these women deserve being talked about or are revolutionizing television in an uplifting way. I am not into lewdness, so I don't get Lena Dunham, nor Amy Schumer and Jenji Kohan's Orange is the New Black. Although I get that their shows produce the ability to talk about tough topics, I just don't see it as needful, I'm not into shock and awe sex. I love being reminded of the strength that Rosanne Barr had in putting her show out during a time where women were still seen as demur and helpless. Amy Sherman-Palladino is my Hollywood kindred spirit, so reading about her and her mark on Television and reading more about Gilmore Girls was awesome.
I mean, who doesn't love a Shonda Rhimes show? That girl is tough as nails! Talking about the tough issues like a 12 year old Black child being shot be cops when he is only trying to get into his own upper class neighborhood house when he doesn't have his key to get in. The Doctor's reactions were real and intense. I admit, I cried when the little boy died. 

I was wishing that we got more stories about Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Burnett, Joan Rivers and other women who helped these modern day women to have a slightly easier go at it. 

I guess, I learned alot about the women in the book through Joy Press's interviews and exchanges and still had to bite my tongue on how some of these woman who just don't represent "strength" to me. Not every book is for everybody. This book was just not what I expected. I guess I am not as feministic, or open-minded as I thought. 

I gave this book 3 stars for a well written format. Couldn't give it more, because Revolutionizing Television isn't about an abundance of sex and swear words in a sitcom. However, that is my opinion. Just keeping it real folks. 

I was given Stealing the Show by Atrial Books via NetGalley in lieu of my honest opinion.

Comments