The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce


Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
Publication Date: January 2, 2018

As I sit here writing this review, I listen to my turn table and hum along to Brahm's Symphony No. 1.
I love music, this book is a Vinyl Aficionado's dream. Reading The Music Shop I desired to follow along to the sound track of Frank's life. I went to my own collection to find the music listed in each chapter, if I didn't have it, I went to Youtube. I created a playlist for my reading enjoyment. Even lying down on the floor as suggested by Frank to get the complete experience. I wondered why there wasn't a playlist included, then I arrived at the last page of the book, ding, Ms. Joyce had sure enough included a link to her Spotify Playlist  She didn't let me down. My only complaint from the whole book is that I wished this playlist had been at the beginning so that I didn't have to spend so much time searching for the music. However, maybe my journey of searching and taking the time to find the music was just as valuable as Frank's mothers stories are to him and made the experience of reading this book even more special? I hope to think so.

Ms. Joyce take a delightful story and sets it into a run down street where the characters are lovable, friendly, community oriented and giving to each other.  The musical gift that Frank, the Music Shop's owner has is second to none. I'm not gonna blab on what that he does, you will just have to read the book to find out as it is special, super special, I tell ya.

When Ilse Brachmann faints outside Franks shop on Unity Street you know an adventure is afoot. Unity Street sits at the end of a small community nestled among the ravages of a 40 year old war in the middle of London. Each member of Frank's business and living community adds to the story with the richness of their varying personality quirks. I throughly enjoyed getting to know each and every one of Frank's friends and neighbors.


The Music Shop is a delightful tribute to decades of wonderful music and takes that music and makes it swell with Ms. Joyce's writing.

I love it as much as I loved Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. The Music Shop is definitely a keeper.

“Like music, said Peg. Even when it was over, it kept living inside you.” 
― Rachel JoyceThe Music Shop

I received this book from Penguin's First to Read in lieu of my honest opinion.  Thrilled I got to read it.

Comments